Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Builds

How many times can you say that you've been in a WWII war zone, a private lagoon, and a downtown bar scene all in less than a couple of hours? I can now officially say I have done that today. Each of these scenes was the site of a build exercise. And after experiencing it all, one of the reoccurring problems that I've noticed is how accommodating and accounting for so many people in a single space is a lot harder when they’re actually there. This happened a few times as in the teleporting problem after dying in the battle zone, or just the high volume of people in small spaces like the gazebo at the lagoon or the club downtown. But, for my organization sake, I’m going to walk through what I liked and didn’t like about the two builds that I was not involved in designing, since I have already blogged about my experience in building our lagoon. First up was the WWII themed build complete with bunkers, exploding tanks, and planes circling overhead. I was particularly impressed with the boat ride over to the actually battle zone and the attention to detail concerning the buildings. I loved the whole capture the flag idea, which brought back numerous childhood memories and was very reminiscent of playing a James Bond game. I already mentioned one problem, which was when you died you were teleported all the way back to our home condos and thus had to fly back to the designated area. Another thing I disliked was the fact that there was no tutorial on how to use the guns, so I almost felt like I was a Russian soldier headed straight into Leningrad without the slightest clue as to what I was getting in to. Since this was the case, I think they should have taken us to the shooting range first or handed out a note card just so we could have been somewhat prepared. Lastly, the sixth street look alike was impressive for just the vast amount of things to do, such as the hookah bar and rooftop dance scene, and also for how easy it was to navigate. The way things were set up, with the street in the middle and buildings on the side, made it simple to pick where you wanted to go and get in and out. On the downside for me, I felt like there was a lack of continuity and an overall randomness involving certain things. But, I should probably keep in mind that that is almost the equivalent of a downtown scene lol. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment