Friday, July 10, 2009

Happy Days...

I can finally breathe a sigh of relief. At least a small one. We've completed almost everything under our basic design and only have a few kinks to work out pregame. Since last time, the final product, the field, looks polished and nice and clean. We've decorated the tree house, put down cutouts of the Sandlot characters, figured out the pitching machine situation, and bought baseball uniforms. It doesn't sound like a lot, but when you're in Second Life everything seems to take much longer and so you eventually just lose yourself for hours in world. The only thing we have left to do is to put in some text with pictures that we took in Second Life of us batting. We don't need anything but some extremely basic concepts to go along with the pictures. Thus, we're meeting in world before our project is due to complete those pictures and lay them down in the field. Today, I ran into something that was kind of a hassle. Me and another member of the group were in charge of creating the cutouts of the characters and then scripting them to say things when you touched them. It became a problem when I started trying to script my teammate's character and I couldn't due to lack of permissions. Luckily I was able to sign in under his avatar and make any changes as needed but it made me realize what a hassle it can become. All in all I feel like I did my part, albeit somewhat last minute, to help my group in this design. It was rough going at first with some minor scuffles about what we were going to do but I think we're better off from it. We were able to have fun, getting to shoot a video, and most of all produce a technology that will allow middle schoolers to become more interactive and interested in science. I know that if I had had something like this growing up, that I probably would've been far more active in pursuing something related to science, or at least would've taken a more general interest in the field. I sincerely hope that with this program and this event tomorrow that we can make a difference in a few people's lives. Now it's a matter of some luck and skill to go along with tomorrow's big presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment